York City's 275th Anniversary

Follow us on Twitter Friend us on Facebook Receive City Updates
{ Live, work, play in York. }

York City Trash Information

What kind of container must I use for trash?

Household trash must be placed in a plastic or metal trash can with a lid and handles or in a securely tied trash bag. (Maximum can & bag size: 32 gallons and 40 pounds) Oversized "contractor" trash bags, large toters, small grocery bags, cardboard boxes, totes, baskets and like containers should not be used for household trash.

Regular curbside customers are NOT permitted to use large "toter" style trash cans or "contractor" size trash bags that exceed 32 gallons. 55-Gallon drums and other similar non-authorized containers, some with homemade handles cut into the sides, pose a risk of hand and back injuries to refuse collectors. Therefore, drums and other miscellaneous containers that are not sold specifically for trash storage, could be disposed of as illegally placed trash and no refunds will be given.

How can I dispose of used motor oil?

Outlets for used motor oil are ever changing. Contact the York County Solid Waste & Refuse Auth. at 845-1066 or at www.ycswa.com for the most up-to-date listing of facilities throughout the county that accept used motor oil.

How can I recycle cardboard?

ALL City customers, both residential and commercial/institutional, must empty, flatten and bundle cardboard boxes with twine or place flattened boxes inside another cardboard box or recycling container. (Maximum bundle size: 3' x 3' and 40 pounds). Place cardboard out for collection, along with your recycling container, only on your first collection day each week.

Note: Boxes from tissues, cereal and other foods, snack bars, shoes, toys and similar products like paper towel and toilet tissue rolls are considered paperboard/chipboard and should be emptied, flattened and recycled too. Place these items comingled with other recyclables in your recycling container and set out for collection only on your first collection day each week.

How can I dispose of lumber?

Small quantities of building lumber may be placed for regular trash collection. The wood must be cut down and securely bundled. (Maximum bundle size: 3' long and 40 pounds) Each bundle of lumber replaces a bag of trash.

How can I dispose of paint and paint products?

Seal containers of paint and paint products and place, in small quantities, with regular trash in securely tied trash bags.  Do not place open containers of liquid separately for collection and do not place loose in trash cans with no tied trash bag.  For trash bags containing cans of wet paint, it is a recommended that you surround the cans with crumbled newspapers to help absorb wet paint when the container is compacted in the collection vehicle.

How can I dispose of tires?

Customers may place up to 2 passenger tires, off the rim, for regular trash collection. Each tire replaces a bag of trash and counts toward the overall bag limit. However, tires on the rim must be scheduled for large-item collection.

Call the large-item line at 717-843-1240 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday to schedule in advance. Do not place items for collection until after 5 p.m. the evening prior to the scheduled date. Items must be at the designated pick-up point no later than 6 a.m. on the day of scheduled collection.

How can I dispose of large items?

Household items that do not fit into the weight and size limits for regular trash must be scheduled for "Large-Item" collection. York City refuse customers may schedule up to (5) five household furniture, appliances and other bulky items each week, as needed, year-round. Large-item collections are part of the regular curbside service and there is no additional fee to schedule a large-item collection. However, all items must be scheduled in advance. NOTE: Not all items can be scheduled for collection. Some items must be handled privately by the customer. (A few examples that must be handled privately include: TVs, anything related to a computer, pianos, organs, pool tables, vehicle parts, rocks/stones/bricks/dirt, etc)

Call the large-item line at 717-843-1240 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday to schedule about a week in advance.         To receive collection sometime next week, call by this Wednesday afternoon to schedule.

Do not place items for collection until after 5 p.m. the evening prior to the scheduled date. Items must be at the designated pick-up point by 6 a.m. on the day of scheduled collection.


NO TVs, Computers or items that plug into computer (i.e. monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, etc).A PA law went into effect 1/24/13 which bans these items from collection/disposal.  Customers must deliver them to an Electronic (E-Cycle) Program. Nearby Electronic Recycling Program: Provided through *YORK COUNTY SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY - York County RESIDENTS Only

Bring electronics to the Authority’s FREE RESIDENTIAL electronics recycling program EVERY Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM at the collection site located on Black Bridge Road in the parking area directly across the street from the York County Resource Recovery Center located at 2651 Black Bridge Road.  (New hours effective 11/8/16)

For more information, contact the YCSWA at 717-845-1066 or www.ycswa.com (*New E-Cycle Program began 4/5/16)